End of an era for pilot service

When the pilot ship Wyuna leaves Port Phillip Bay at 10am tomorrow an era that has lasted 126 years will end.

 The Port Phillip Pilot Service has sold the 1300-tonne cutter and replaced it with a launch that will operate from Queenscliff.

For the past 126 years cruising cutters, powered by steam and diesel, have taken pilots out to ships wishing to pass through the Rip.

The pilot service, which is made up of 41 master mariners who all own shares, is one of the few non-profits making organisations of its kind in the world.

The Wyuna has been sold to the Australian Maritime College in Launceston.